Friday, November 29, 2013

Full Circles

Over a year ago, I was on site visit, exploring Tantará for the first time.  I met a woman named Fidela on her way to milk her cows.  She invited me to come with her, and I spent about an hour chatting with her in her corral.  Little did I know that Fidela would later become my host mom.


Fidela's cows, 2012
Exactly a year after swearing in as a Volunteer, I found myself in that same corral with Fidela. 

Fidela's cows, 2013
The plan was to cut the horns of the cattle, but it is preceded by a ceremony, in which they thanked Pacha Mama for the health of their cattle and everyone was invited to share a cup of pisco. 


Then they cut the cows’ horns, branded them, and put ribbons in their ears.




After, we went back to the house to eat lunch, and found a surprise.

A brand-new baby sheep!

It is amazing how fast a year in site has gone by.  And I am incredibly thankful to have the wonderful host family that I do. 

The following week, I also held the final class of the year with my adolescents.  They are a small group of students who have taken a few hours out of their afternoon every few weeks to come and learn about healthy lifestyles, including self esteem, decision making, sexual and reproductive health, alcohol and drugs, and planning for the future. 

Self-esteem game

Discrimination activity

HIV activity

Learning to put condoms on bananas

I am so so so proud of them, and excited for next year when they will help me teach their peers.  

Graduation!

This year I have tons to be thankful for.  I have a great family, both in Peru and back home.  I have shockingly wonderful friends.  I have survived one year in site, and I have people who are excited to continue to work together next year.  And I got to spend Thanksgiving Day with a fantastic group of PCVs.

The perfect Thanksgiving dinner
As I come out of my post-Thanksgiving food coma, I am ready and motivated to get back to site to wrap up the year before I head home for Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment