Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Big things happen at the end of the year


MapaMundi

The last 2 months, I have met with the 5th and 6th grades of primary school every week for an hour to paint a World Map.  About 10 to 15 students came each session, and they drew and painted a map of the world.
Week 1: Practicing drawing by grid
Week 2: Painting ocean
Week 3: Drawing


Painting...

...and painting...

...and painting.
And finally, it was done.




Unfortunately, many projects don't display immediate results, the change we work for can't always be seen right away.  The World Map project became a great way for me to do something with very concrete results.  When we started the project, many of the students couldn't identify Peru on the map.  At the inauguration of the map, I overheard a girl showing her friend where Mongolia is, which she remembered because she painted it blue.  

A special thanks to the Municipality of Tantará for giving us paint, to I.E. 22042 for letting us paint on their wall, and to my wonderful students for all their hard work.



Promoción: Mi Niño Jesus

The end of the year also means graduations, or promociones.  In Peru, they have padrinos and madrinas (godfathers and godmothers) for a lot of different events.  I was asked to be the madrina of the kindergarten graduation, and my job was to get diplomas for the 12 kids who are about to move up to primary school.

The graduation ceremony was beautifully planned by the moms, who then got to watch their children walk down an aisle with a partner, receive diplomas, and dance.  I have an overabundance of photos, but I selected a few.
Entering with his partner


Receiving diplomas

Dancing
These children are adorable, and never fail to put a smile on my face by running down the street to great me while screaming, "Madrina!"  I am incredibly grateful that the parents decided to select me as madrina, and I am excited to visit my 12 godchildren next year in primary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment