This is the puente
colgante, or “hanging bridge”.
It connects the neighboring districts of Tantará and Huamatambo. There is now a road that connects the
two, and a truck that travels that road twice a week. The most direct route by foot, however, is through the
fields, past the cows, and over the bridge. Every year, on the same day, the communities of Tantará and
Huamatambo go down to the river and do maintenance on the bridge.
Yesterday, I was walking back to Tantará after spending 3
days in Huamatambo. I work with 10
families in Huamatambo, and visit about once a month. The walk between the districts takes me a little less than 2
hours, and besides the occasional incredibly scary dog, it is a relatively
uneventful walk. Except when I get
to the bridge. As soon as I take my
first step to cross, my stress level spikes. Reminding myself to breathe, I take one very careful step
after another, focusing on where I place my feet instead of the rushing water beneath. At a certain
point, the bridge tends to swing, most likely when I am hugging one side to
avoid the place where the wood has broken. Once across, I spend a few moments calming my breathing
before starting the long climb up the valley. This bridge makes me nervous. Yesterday, however, I had a revelation. I was halfway across when I realized
that I cross the same bridge every month, and it has yet to break beneath my
feet. In fact, despite the
swaying, the wood has a quite sturdy feel to it.
In my particular area, it is easy to see modernization
grabbing hold. In Tantará almost
no one wears traditional dress anymore.
In Huamatambo there is more, but still mostly among older women. Both communities used to speak Quechua,
yet the current generation is not learning it like their parents did. Many families choose to sell what they
grow in the field in exchange for packaged noodles brought up from the coast. It can be sad and frustrating seeing
the scraps of lost traditions being buried by televisions and cell phones.
As I paused in my moment of tranquility during what is
normally a mildly traumatic experience, I found comfort in the fact that this
bridge is still here. For
countless years these two communities have come together to ensure that it
stays standing, and thus far they have succeeded. It is comforting to know that amongst all the change, both
good and bad, there are still some things that stay the same. The old lady on the corner will always
stop me to ask detailed health questions in Quechua, my host mom will always
offer me tea and soup before bed, and the bridge will always terrify me but I
will always make it safely across.
Once on solid ground and staring up and the daunting mountain I was
about to climb, I made a mental note to go help on the day they fix the bridge
this coming year. Besides
obviously wanting to be apart of the tradition, maybe if I help maintain the
bridge, I won’t be as nervous to cross it.

No comments:
Post a Comment