Saturday, October 20, 2012

Huancavelica, here I come!

Yesterday marked the official half-way point of training, and also the much anticipated moment of getting our regional assignments.

But let me back up and talk about the last few weeks.

We've been working hard at the training center, but have also been going on trips into Lima for museums and other trips.  One was to the Agricultural University where we learned how to plant small vegetable gardens.




It was great to (quite literally) get our hands dirty and start learning by doing.  




Shortly after, we packed our bags and piled into mini buses to go to Huancavelica for our Field Based Training. 





Winding through the tall mountains, we climbed in altitude until we reached Huaytará, where we would spend the next 3 nights.  We had entered the land of llamas, alpacas, and potatoes. 




We split up into groups and visited different volunteers, each about 2 hours from Huaytatá.  We helped with house visits, facilitating classes with youths, kids, and mothers, and built a cocina mejorada, an improved cook stove. 


Returning to Lima, I felt refreshed to have been in crisp mountain air again.  After a day off, everyone was back at the training center, with a hum of excitement over our pending regional assignments.  Before I knew it, I found my photo tacked to a page with Huancavelica in bold letters, and realized that I get to go back! 


We have yet to get our site assignments, but I know that I'll be the first Volunteer at my site (as opposed to replacing someone), and that 3 of us from Peru 20 (Health) will be in Huancavelica, but in a different valley than the one we just visited.  I also know that there's a good chance I'll have to learn Quechua, but luckily Mamá Rita has volunteered to be my tutor in the few weeks I have left here in Lima.


Having had a sneak peak of my new home, I couldn't be more excited.  We have two weeks here in Lima, then we will travel to our regions for more training, and a visit to site.  Then one more week in Lima, and we're off!  So I'm holding onto my seat, as I'm sure the second half of training will be over in the blink of an eye, and then I head to the mountains!









1 comment:

  1. Congratualtions, how exciting! Can't wait to see pics of your new home!

    ReplyDelete