When I first came to Peru, I made a list in the back of my
journal titled “Reasons I am here.”
The idea was to have a running list that constantly reminded me to keep
my chin up when things got hard.
By the time the pages ran out in my journal, I had 15 items, and I had
read and reread that list about a million times.
When I started my new journal, I thought about making
another list for the second half of service titled “Things I will miss.” Unfortunately, at the time I was
feeling too cynical to actually put anything down, and then the idea slipped my
mind and it never happened. One day from leaving site, I’ve decided to actually write that list.
Really, the things that I will miss about Tantará and about
Peru are little. They are small
moments that happen during a passing day that I almost forgot to notice.
I will miss waking up to church bells and the bustling
house. I will even miss the
rooster crows. I will miss small
children calling me Tía and hugging
me on the streets. I will miss knowing
everyone I pass and having them greet me with a smile and, “Hola, Señorita Jenny.” I will miss making my own
schedule.
I will miss the sunset turning the whole town pink, and how
amazing the stars look when the electricity goes out. I will miss walking into the kitchen every night and eating
soup with my family. I will miss
sitting next to the stove when I’m cold.
I will miss aguita de hierbas
and fresh fruit, especially oranges and avocado.
I will miss my dog, Oso, protectively following me around,
and my cat, Leo, purring in my lap.
I will miss that feeling of drying my hair in the hot sun after a cold
shower. I will miss having a
beautiful garden of flowers right outside my door and eating vegetables that
were in the ground that morning. I
will miss being able to make everything better by eating popcorn for
dinner.
Most of all, I will miss my host mom asking me, “¿Que novedades?”
(What’s new?) and coming into my room to chismosear
(gossip). I will miss her
protecting me and bragging about me.
I will miss my host grandfather telling long drawn out stories, and I
will miss sitting in the kitchen listening to my host family talk about
anything interesting that happened that day (mostly about the cows).
In the last few weeks leading up to COS, I’ve been torn
between overwhelmingly excited and overwhelmingly sad. Most days, I don’t know if I should
jump up and down or break down crying.
Sure, I’m excited for toilet seats and speaking English and high speed
internet. I’m excited for beer and
indoor heating and driving my car.
I can hardly express how excited I am to be home with my family. As the day gets closer, though, the
list of things I will miss keeps getting longer, and I keep remembering reasons
I am here.
Last November, I got a letter I had written to myself right
before I left for Peru. One of my
wishes for myself was that Peru had stolen a little piece of my heart. As I get ready to leave, I know that it
absolutely has.
No comments:
Post a Comment