Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy Holidays!

It started to be the holidays when I was stuffed into a crowded truck with other members of my Municipality and we drove to all the annexes of Tantará to give toys to all the kids and panetón to every family. 

The mayor giving out toys in the annex of Ocrococha


With toys in hands and bellies full of hot chocolate and panetón, we were ready for Christmas. 

Christmas Eve rolled around, accompanied by a day of rain and general dreariness.  But my host sisters and I spent the day watching movies and eating fried dough.  In the afternoon, we braided each other’s hair, put on make-up, and got ready for Christmas mass. 


After mass, we all headed to the plaza where there was dancing, more hot chocolate, more panetón, and steaming teapots of fruit liquor.  By about 1:30, we were ready for dinner, so we drowsily walked back to the house where the four of us shared a huge meal of fried chicken, potatoes, and (of course) more hot chocolate and panetón. 

One of my host sisters, Clarita

Before I knew it, it was New Year’s Eve.  Nathan (the volunteer from the site above me) and I took the opportunity to head to Chincha, our nearest city.  Everyone spends New Year’s Eve making life-sized dolls of various people out of old clothes and straw.  At midnight, they put the dolls in a pile and burn them, while throwing firecrackers, sparklers, and other loud sparkly things into the fire.  The burning of the dolls is supposed to be a fresh start and good luck for the new year.  I failed to get any pictures of this, but the smoke-filled air, loud bangs of firecrackers, and colorful flicker of the fire can’t really be captured, anyways. 

Recovering from a minor case of PTSD and hearing loss, we donned our yellow attire (for good luck) and spent the rest of the night dancing on the beach. 

 Welcoming the New Year in style

Celebrating the holidays away from my family isn’t an easy task.  But fortunately I’ve found a wonderful set of friends here in Peru who are willing to invite me into their homes and do everything possible to make me feel welcome and loved for the holiday season.  I’m looking forward to an exciting year ahead, filled with adventure. 

Happy New Year to all my friends and family at home, I wish you all the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment